Looking forward to a slice of this with a green salad tonight!
Spinach and Feta Filo Pie
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
Calories per serving: 406.1
Garlic, Raw-2 Cloves/6g
Nutmeg, Ground-1 Tsp/3g
Pastry, Filo, Frozen, Ready Roll Sheets-270g
Cheese, Mature Cheddar-55g
Cheese, Greek Feta-200g
Eggs, Free Range, Medium-3 Eggs/174g
Olive Oil-2 Tsps/10ml
Preparation: Peel and finely dice the onion. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Grate the cheddar cheese. Cut the Feta into 1cm chunks. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees (180 fan).
(1) Pour 10ml of olive oil into a pan. Cook the onions in the oil until soft and turning golden. Add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
(2) Put the spinach leaves into a large lidded pan and pour over a small amount of boiling water. Heat over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until the leaves have wilted and then strain into a colander and squeeze out the excess water once cooled.
(3) Put the pine nuts into a small frying pan over a medium heat. Toast, stirring all the time until the pine nuts have turned a golden colour and allow to cool.
(4) Once the spinach is cool, tip into a bowl (leaving behind any excess liquid from the spinach) and mix in the nutmeg, feta, eggs, toasted pine nuts and season well.
(5) Melt the butter in a microwave or small pan. Use some of the melted butter to grease a non-stick spring form cake tin, about 20-22cm. Put the first sheet of filo in the tin and brush with the melted butter, letting the excess hang over the sides. Keep going with the rest of the sheets, turning a little before adding each additional pastry sheet and brushing all over with the melted butter.
(6) When all the pastry is used up, tip in the filling and fold over the excess pastry to cover, crinkling the excess pastry rather than laying it flat. This will add to the crispness of the pie but also give it a really attractive top.
Brush the top with the remaining melted butter then bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes until the filo is crisp and golden. Leave for 5 minutes before turning out and cutting into wedges to serve.
Nutrition Data Per Serving
Calories (kcal) 406.1
Carbohydrate (g) 29.5
Fat (g) 24.0
Fibre (g) 2.3
Fruit & Veg 0.8
Protein (g) 17.5