Made a large (6 portion) batch of this tasty dish. I think it will be very versatile – served alone as a main meal or as a side. Tonight we had it topped with fried chorizo with a side of stir-fried cabbage and leek and a chunk of baguette to mop up the tasty juice….
I think it will also work well with crumbled feta.
I can imagine it would be delicious with a generous blob of soured cream – or served with rice!
Spanish-style Chickpea Casserole
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hr
Calories per serving: 190
Olive Oil – 20ml
Red Onions – 1 Med/180g
Garlic, Raw – 3 Cloves/9g
Celery – 2½ Sticks/100g
Carrots – 180g
Spinach, Frozen – 100g
Chopped Tomatoes in Rich Tomato Juice – 2 Cans/800g
Tomato Puree, Double Concentrate – 1 Tbsp/15g
Red Wine Vinegar – 8ml
Chick Peas, drained – 2 Cans/480g
Chilli Peppers, Red – 1 Pepper/13g
Soft Brown Sugar – 1½ Tsps/6g
Paprika – 1½ Tsps/3g
Cumin, Ground – 3 Tsps/15g
Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel and finely chop the carrot. Trim and finely dice the celery. Peel and dice the garlic cloves.
(1) Heat the oil in a casserole dish with a lid. Add the onions, carrot and celery and cook over a medium heat until softened (not browned). Add the garlic and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
(2) Add the herbs and spices, the brown sugar and vinegar, chilli pepper, tinned tomatoes and tomato puree.
(3) Add the tinned tomatoes and tomato puree – add a little water if necessary. Stir and bring to the boil. Lower heat, cover and continue to cook covered for a further 20-30 minutes, stirring regularly to prevent sticking.
(4) Add the chickpeas, stir through. Salt and pepper if required. Cover and continue to cook for 20-30 minutes.
(5) Finally add the spinach and stir through until wilted.
(6) Serve topped with either sliced and fried chorizo or crumbled feta. In fact this is very versatile and all types of additional ingredients can be added! I have made a large batch and will freeze it.
Nutrition Data Per Serving
Calories (kcal) 190.1
Protein (g) 9.8
Sugars (g) 10.3
Fat (g) 6.0
Fruit & Veg 5.2
Carbohydrate (g) 22.4
Fibre (g) 8.6