Bulgar wheat and roasted vegetable concoction (119 cals), warmed. Topped with 30g chopped apricots (62 cals) and 50g of cubed feta cheese (138 cals). Amazing flavours! Very filling too and just 319 calories in total.
I had to rush on here and let you know about this delicious and low calorie meal! It was absolutely scrummy!
All too often our chicken dishes are made with a tomato or cream sauce, but I wanted to try out something a little different. This on first glance seemed a little more fiddly, but it really didn’t take long to prepare. Adding the butter gives the sauce a lovely glossy shine as well as adding a richness.
Chicken Piccata (chicken with a mushroom, lemon, garlic, caper and butter sauce)
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
Calories per serving: 276
Flour, Plain – 20g
Garlic, Raw – 1 Clove/3g
Wine, White – 70ml
Parsley, Fresh – 1 Tbsp/3.8g
Capers, in Brine (drained) – 10g
Stock Cubes, Chicken – ½ Cube/3g
Mushrooms, Chestnut – ½ Pack/125g
Chicken, Breast Fillet – 1 Serving/200g
Pepper, Black, Freshly Ground – ¼ Tsp/0.5g
Oil, Olive – 3 Tsps/15ml
Juice, Lemon, Fresh, Average – 1 Lemon/35.5ml
Butter – 10g
Preparation: Cube the chicken breast into 2cm chunks. Make up the chicken stock with 300ml of water. Cut the mushrooms into chunks. Squeeze the juice from a lemon. Chop up the capers.
1. Whisk 2 teaspoons flour and chicken stock in a small bowl until smooth. Place the remaining flour in a shallow dish.
Season chicken with the pepper and dredge both sides in the flour.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm.
3. Heat the remaining 1 tsp oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
4. Add a peeled and crushed garlic clove and wine to the pan and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes, then stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture and lemon juice.
5. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
6. Stir in chopped parsley, capers and the butter. Add the browned chicken back into the pan with the mushrooms and stir until the chicken is cooked (around 10 minutes).