Traditionally a fish pie is topped with mashed potato, but this easy topping is a mixture of mature cheddar, Parmesan and Panko breadcrumbs. Lowers the calories, less preparation and adds a lovely “crunch”!
Shown served with mashed carrot and swede and savoy cabbage. Total 450 calories.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
Calories per serving: 343.1
Haddock, Loin Fillets-250g
Cheese, Cheddar, Mature-50g
Cheese, Parmesan-2 Tbsps/20g
(1) Wash, trim and finely slice the leeks. Grate the two cheese (together in a medium bowl)
(2) Heat a large oven and flame-proof casserole on a medium heat on the hob and melt the butter. Add the sliced leeks, and fry over a low heat with the lid on until soft (but not browned).
(3) Place the fish fillets together in a large lidded microwave dish. Add 200ml of the milk, and cook on full power in a microwave for 4-5 minutes until fish is cooked. Once cooked, being careful not to burn your fingers, remove the fish fillets from the milk into a plate (reserving the milk for later). Remove any skin or bones from the fillets. Break carefully, using a fork, into large flakes.
(4) Sprinkle the flour over the frying leeks and stir until butter has been absorbed by the flour. Lower the heat (very low).
(5) Add 300ml of cold milk, a little at a time, stirring the mixture well to avoid lumps.
(6) Add the milk from the poached fish a little at a time, keeping the heat low and avoiding lumps.
(7) Once all the milk is added, keep stirring the mixture until it thickens to the consistency of thick custard.
(8) Add the peas and stir through.
(9) Add the fish and combine, being careful not to break up the flakes.
(10) Grate the two cheese into a medium bowl and add the panko breadcrumbs. Combine. Sprinkle over the fish mixture, ensuring everything is covered.
(11) Place in the hot oven, and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
(12) Serve with green vegetables – savoy cabbage is perfect!
Nutrition Data Per Serving
Calories (kcal) 343.1
Protein (g) 32.4
Sugars (g) 8.6
Fat (g) 12.6
Fruit & Veg 1.1
Carbohydrate (g) 24.6
Fibre (g) 2.8
One thought on “Crunchy Topped Fish Pie – 343 calories”
I love fish pie! Great way of lowering the calories. Definitely on my list! Thank you for sharing.